Cobra Club Forums
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Race wheels and tyres
tim

[*] posted on 17-9-2010 at 12:50 PM
Race wheels and tyres

This is my first forum experience (so go easy). In the process of buying rims and tyres for track time (Goulburn). I have had various opinions in the width of rear rims ie 8 or 10 inch. One thoery is that the 8 inch rims / tyres warm up more quickly for a short 5 lap sprint (which I have). But other say 10 inch rubber is required to handle the bigger HP that my car produces. Any opinions ?
Also what is the most cost effective way to buy these rims / tyres. I have tried so many places and it is all too hard for some.
:)
acecob

Mood: Cool as usual

[*] posted on 17-9-2010 at 09:30 PM

Speak to Kevin Walker he's the club tyreman
Tyrepower Greenacre look them up in the yellow pages ,don't have his number
Rob. Smith

Mood: cranky old fart

[*] posted on 17-10-2010 at 07:31 PM

G'Day Tim,
I've got my own theory about wide tyres and WIDE tyres. Big wide tyres are ok on a heavy vehicle. On a lighter vehicle they might provide too much foot print and spread the contact weight too thinly...then you might get a bit slippery.
That's my train of thought......can any one else add to my thoughts ?

?
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Kimbo
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 18-10-2010 at 07:31 PM

I think there are a couple of guys in the club thinking that it may be time to look at getting track wheels and tyres - me included.
I haven't yet done any homework on this but I would be interested in anything you can find out on the subject.

Kim
BJs Snake

[*] posted on 19-10-2010 at 07:37 AM

I upgraded to track tyres for this years nats and found the biggest problem was 15 inch tyre selection. Avons were nearly 500 bucks a corner which for a couple of track days a year so settled on Advans at 290 a corner. I rum 235/60/15 street tyres so 225/60/15 were pretty close to what I needed. They are not a wide tyre compared to some of the rubber running around Wakefield but improved my times by 4 seconds a lap and I feel there would be alot more once the driver gets used to being able to corner quicker than he is used to.

Brett
Slipry

[*] posted on 20-10-2010 at 03:16 PM

Hi Brett, I noticed your sprint times were quick this year. Any improvement in hill climb and go-whoa?

Dave

Dave
Rob. Smith

Mood: cranky old fart

[*] posted on 22-10-2010 at 10:37 PM

G'Day Tim,
Have a look on the Australian Cobra website...there's a post on tyres there now.

?
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger

Go To Top